Monday, February 20, 2012

Liar!: Aveeno Ultra Calming Daily Moisturizer

Rusty




In a sad and futile attempt to break my addiction to Sephora and higher end beauty products, I went to the local Target to replace my face moisturizer and left with a bottle of Aveno Ultra Calming Daily Moisturizer. This was a mistake and will likely drive me straight back to the loving embrace of little black bags and price tags that make my bank account cry.

While the Aveeno daily moisturizer does have some benefits, I appreciate the SPF 15 as one whose reaction to direct sunlight is only slightly less drastic than one of Anne Rice’s vampires. And it does help my skin feel less dry and tight during these winter months which is also nice. For the other benefits, I can’t say much for them.

Since using this I’ve had pretty persistent small red bumps over my cheeks. They’re not actual zits, they're just bumps that seem to insist on looking very much like zits. I haven’t ever had anything like this before. I haven’t changed any other aspect of my skin care routine. I already rewashed all my pillow cases, so I know it’s not that. I can only conclude that something in the moisturizer is causing this reaction and since it claims to be “ultra calming” that doesn’t speak particularly well of it. It’s incredibly frustrating because I’ve been spoiled by generally having very clear skin and so while I’m ok with dealing with occasional zits, I have no idea what to do about this. I’ve got a couple other products that have helped (which I will also be reviewing) and the little red bumps aren’t wildly obvious but they’re there and I hate them.

Because of my problems with this product, I’m rating it a 3 out of 8. There are some good qualities to it and unfortunately my current state of mostly unemployed means I’ll have to use it until I run out, but it’s not doing well for me or my skin at all.

Rating: 3/8 tentacles


Editor's Note: This product was reviewed by MetricJenn as well.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy some things of the Aveeno line, but this one is just godawful. I noticed that I was far more prone to breakouts using it, which I wasn't really expecting at the time, considering they assure on their labels that their products won't clog pores, etc., etc. Since then, it's been a downward spiral, but I'm still clinging to their breakout-free moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusty,

    I don't know how this would work on sensitive skin but I love Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle cream, even for young skin. The retinol is great for keeping skin clear of acne too.

    http://hotinkreviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/anti-wrinkle-all-star-neutrogena.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've used an Aveeno moisturizer before with good results (I think it was the radiance one? It was a while ago) so I'm kind of surprised this one is so crap.

    And thanks for the tip about the Anti-Wrinkle cream, Vee. I'll keep that in mind for when this runs out/I get sick of it and scrape together some pocket change to replace it.

    Rusty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I couldn't be the only one who experienced a horrible result after using this product.
    At least you only had small red bumps. I seriously looked like a goddamn leper after using this crap.

    My only Aveeno product these days is a soy extract face wash. (Which will be reviewed shortly).

    ReplyDelete